Historical Crests NK Istra 1961
Name: NK Istra 1961
Nickname(s): Zeleno-žuti (The Green-Yellows)
Founded: 1948
Stadium: Stadion Aldo Drosina
Capacity: 9,800
NK Istra 1961 Crest History
The earliest crest associated with the club was introduced in 1948, when the club competed as NK Uljanik, representing the famous Uljanik shipyard in Pula. The circular badge featured the shipyard's historic emblem together with the year 1948, enclosed within a blue ring bearing the club name. Closely linked to the city's industrial heritage, the crest symbolised the club's origins as the football team of one of Croatia's most important shipbuilding companies and remained in use for more than five decades.
In 2003, following promotion to the Croatian First League and the decision to strengthen the club's connection with the city of Pula, the club adopted the name NK Pula 1856. A completely new circular crest was introduced, centred on the Pula Arena, one of Croatia's best-known Roman landmarks, above the city's coat of arms. The number 1856 commemorated the year in which the Austro-Hungarian Empire established the naval arsenal and the Uljanik shipyard, linking the club's modern identity with the city's industrial and maritime history.
A further redesign followed in 2005, when a sponsorship agreement with Daruvarska Pivovara led to the club being renamed NK Pula Staro Češko. The crest changed from a circular badge to a modern shield featuring the Pula Arena above a blue-and-white field, with the sponsor's name incorporated beneath the club name. Although short-lived, the redesign preserved the Arena as the club's defining symbol while reflecting the temporary commercial identity.
After the sponsorship ended in 2006, the club reverted to the name NK Pula and introduced another simplified shield. The reference to Staro Češko disappeared, leaving a cleaner badge centred on the Arena and the city name. While only used for a single season, the crest represented a transitional period before the club embraced a broader regional identity.
In 2007, following strong pressure from supporters' group Demoni, the club adopted the name NK Istra 1961, honouring the football tradition established in Pula through the merger that created the original NK Istra in 1961. A completely redesigned crest replaced the blue-and-white colour scheme with the traditional green and yellow colours of the city of Pula. The shield retained the stylised Pula Arena at the top, while the city's coat of arms was placed beneath the foundation year 1961 and the bold ISTRA lettering. Inspired by the crest of the historic NK Istra, the redesign symbolised the reunification of Pula's football heritage and has remained the club's visual identity ever since. Minor refinements have improved the badge's proportions and digital reproduction, but the overall design has remained unchanged.
NK Istra 1961 Club History
The origins of NK Istra 1961 lie in 1948, when NK Uljanik was founded as the football club of the famous Uljanik shipyard in Pula. Closely linked to the city's industrial heritage, Uljanik spent decades competing in the regional Croatian and Yugoslav leagues while developing a strong local identity. Although the modern club descends directly from NK Uljanik, it also honours the football tradition established in 1961, when NK Uljanik and NK Pula merged to form the original NK Istra, a club that became one of the leading representatives of football in the Istrian peninsula.
After winning promotion to the Croatian First Football League in 2003, the club adopted the name NK Pula 1856. The new identity reflected both the city of Pula and the historic year 1856, when the Austro-Hungarian naval arsenal and the Uljanik shipyard were established. During this period, the club consolidated its position in Croatian professional football and became a regular competitor in the top division. Financial partnerships also influenced the club's identity, resulting in the temporary name NK Pula Staro Češko during the 2005–06 season before reverting to NK Pula the following year.
A defining moment came in 2007, when the club adopted the name NK Istra 1961. The change was strongly supported by the supporters' group Demoni, who wanted the city's leading club to reconnect with the football tradition established by the original NK Istra in 1961. Alongside the new name, the club adopted the traditional green-and-yellow colours that have since become synonymous with football in Istria. The rebranding united Pula's football heritage under a single identity while maintaining the sporting continuity of NK Uljanik.
A new era began in 2018, when the club became part of the Deportivo Alavés ownership group. Increased investment improved the club's infrastructure, youth development and sporting organisation, allowing Istra to establish itself more consistently in the Croatian top flight. Although major domestic honours have yet to be achieved, the club has become an increasingly competitive force and continues to represent the footballing identity of the Istrian peninsula.
NK Istra 1961's principal rivalry is with HNK Rijeka. Matches between the two clubs are known as the Derby della Učka, named after the Učka mountain that separates the regions of Istria and Kvarner. The rivalry reflects the traditional sporting and regional competition between Croatia's two northern Adriatic regions and has become one of the country's most distinctive local derbies. Encounters are characterised by passionate support from Rijeka's Armada and Istra's Demoni, creating some of the most vibrant atmospheres in Croatian football.
Although less intense, Istra also shares competitive rivalries with HNK Hajduk Split and GNK Dinamo Zagreb, particularly when hosting Croatia's traditional football powers at Stadion Aldo Drosina.
NK Istra Pula
Your Dynamic Snippet will be displayed here... This message is displayed because you did not provide enough options to retrieve its content.